I recently made a copy of a base VM with SQL Server, Visual Studio, and Office, but without GP. I then used Sysinternals NewSid on the VM to change the machine name and SID. After a reboot, I installed GP and attempted to run GP Utilities.
GP Utilities displayed several errors that didn't tell me much, but then I finally received a message that referenced "DEV1\GP10". DEV1 is the name of my base VM that I had copied. Even though I had renamed the machine, GP utilities was still picking up the old machine name for the SQL Server.
This is a common issue that comes up when you change the name of a SQL Server. Even though the new name appears in SQL Management Studio, any SQL statements that use the @@servername parameter will return the old SQL Server name. (select @@servername)
I have dealt with this before, but I always forget the command to update the SQL Server name. Here for posterity are the simple commands to perform the update (example assumes an instance name of GP10):
Great, I thought, all done with that, and ahead with GP Utilities. But, to my surprise, I then received a new message indicating that the server had NO name at all, which was a new one for me.
After Googling a bit more, I found a tip that you need to restart the SQL Server service for a change to the 'local' server name to take effect.
After checking Books Online, I see that this caveat is mentioned under sp_addserver, but it is easy to miss.