Monday, March 15, 2010

Forecaster Database Creation Wizard Failure :(

Creating a new database in Forecaster is generally a straightforward affair. Launch the Forecaster Database Creation Wizard, connect to the desired SQL Server, enter the information for the new database, and there you have it. Or, sometimes, you don't. Last week I ran in to an issue where the wizard would "quit unexpectedly" after I had specified the new database name and clicked Next. Odd. I tried it from another machine, same result. But, then, I tried creating the database on a different SQL Server and it worked. Hmmm. I checked the Application Event Log, and sure enough there was a .Net Framework error (not very descriptive, but an error nonetheless).

Turns out, the issue was the original SQL Server we were using had offline databases. I would have never thought to check that, the tech assigned to my case mentioned that they had seen similar issues caused by offline databases on the SQL Server. So we removed the offline databases, and the wizard runs without issue.

Just thought I would share this with you all, as it's not something that I would have thought of on my own :) Happy forecasting...

No comments: