Tuesday, November 17, 2015

eConnect 2015 Error: The pipe endpoint EntityOperations could not be found

By Steve Endow

Back in the now distant year of 2010, I wrote a post about an eConnect error:  There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe.

That has been one of the most frequently accessed posts on my blog.

Well today I encountered a strange variant at a client.  I had upgraded an existing integration from GP 2010 to GP 2015, and the new GP 2015 integration was installed on the same workstation where the 2010 version had been installed.

When the client ran the integration, she received this error:

eConnect error: System.IO.PipeException: The pipe endpoint 'net.pipe://localhost/Microsoft/Dynamics/GP/eConnect/EntityOperations' could not be found on your local machine.


Since this wasn't the usual "no endpoint listening" message, I wasn't sure what the cause could be.

But since it involved the words net.pipe and endpoint, I checked the eConnect 2015 Windows Service to see if it was running.

Interestingly, the service was not running.  After starting the eConnect 2015 service, the user ran the integration again and it worked fine without error.

I have tested two of my GP 2015 development machines, but when I stop the eConnect service and attempt an integration, I get the standard "There was no endpoint listening at net.pipe" error message.

I'm not sure why the client saw something different, but since it's the first time I've seen it, and since it happened to occur with eConnect 2015, I thought I would document it in case someone else comes across this variant.

If you do see it, check the eConnect windows service and see if it is running.


Steve Endow is a Microsoft MVP for Dynamics GP and a Dynamics GP Certified IT Professional in Los Angeles.  He is the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

You can also find him on Google+ and Twitter


No comments: