I was trying to do a test in Integration Manager to confirm that the eConnect GetNextNumber methods work properly. Simple enough. I setup a test GL transaction with the eConnect destination adapter import and ran it. After sitting for several minutes with no activity, I clicked on Stop and after a few more minutes, was finally able to see an error.
SQL Exception Thrown in the GetNextNumber method
Hmmm. Okay, so what is causing this?
I checked my SQL Server, but I didn't see any errors. I then tried a SQL Profiler trace, but it just displayed some strange queries against the company databases with no references to GetNextNumber. I checked SQL Activity Monitor, but didn't see any issues there either. I was stumped.
Then I remembered one setting from when I created the integration.
Notice that the Server Name defaulted to localhost. Since IM is running on the same machine as my SQL Server, I didn't think twice about it--even though I never use localhost for SQL Server connections (for a good reason, as I am demonstrating).
Well, the problem is that this server uses a SQL Server instance name, not the default SQL instance, so localhost will not work. I changed the Server Name to the correct SQL Server instance name and the integration ran fine, no issues.
I'm puzzled why IM didn't time out or didn't log meaningful error messages, like Unable to connect to SQL Server, etc. Fortunately, it was a simple enough fix, once I realized the problem.