Monday, August 22, 2016

Dynamics GP message "Do you want to save the unbalanced entry?"

By Steve Endow

This is a trivial issue, but since it took me a few seconds to realize my mistake / accident, I thought I would mention it.

I'm testing a .NET customization to the GL Transaction Entry window that monitors certain GL accounts that are entered in JEs.  While entering a fake JE to test my customization, I chose a random GL account to balance the JE, and then clicked Save.

I received this message:


I was puzzled at first, but then I saw that the second line of the JE did not have a dollar sign in front of the Credit amount, and I had a pretty good guess what I had done.



The account I had randomly chosen, 600-9030-00, just happened to be a Unit account, not a Posting account.


Unit accounts can't be used to balance a GL journal entry, so my test JE was not balanced, as GP indicated.

This is presumably not a common mistake, and is one that is easily diagnosed and resolved, but since I almost never work with unit accounts, I thought I would mention it.

There are quite a few posts on unit accounts, such as these two from Boyer & Associates:

http://www.boyerassoc.com/how-to-use-dynamics-gp-unit-accounts-to-enhance-your-management-reports/

http://www.boyerassoc.com/tips-using-unit-accounts-variable-allocation-accounts-dynamics-gp/


May your journal entries be balanced!

Steve Endow is a Microsoft MVP for Dynamics GP and a Dynamics GP Certified IT Professional in Los Angeles.  He is the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

You can also find him on Google+ and Twitter



No comments: