So, like many things in life, what started out as a simple project has turned into a circuitous pain.
I created a new Hyper-V VM so that I could install the shiny new GP 2016.
Easy. Peasy. Lemony. Squeezee. No problem.
The install of "Server 2012 R2 with Updates" from the MSDN ISO went swimmingly and was done before I knew it. I got the server configured the way I wanted and RDP'd into it. Perfecto.
Then I tried to install SQL Server 2014. Nope. Can't do that. You, good sir, need .NET 3.5. Oh goodie.
So I tried to install .NET 3.5 through the Windows Server Add Roles and Features Wizard.
But it complained:
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature.
After trying a few things to work around the problem, I found that it is a bug that was introduced in a Server 2012 update.
See this KB for more info:
After downloading a mysterious EXE file and running it, you will receive absolutely zero feedback, status, or messages indicating whether it installed or worked properly.
I tried to install .NET 3.5 again, but no joy. So I rebooted the server and tried again. It still gave me the same error, but I clicked Next and it appeared to have installed .NET 3.5 successfully.
I then tried to install SQL Server 2014 again, but the install froze up. After yet another server reboot, the SQL 2014 Setup finally behaved itself.
Ugh. All of this just to get ready to install GP 2016...