Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Turn off all Dynamics GP posting reports in the Fabrikam test company

By Steve Endow


Update: Victoria Yudin correctly noted that there are times when posting reports are helpful or required, perhaps for training or identifying errors.  Absolutely--posting reports are definitely necessary in certain situations, even in Fabrikam.  I chose to turn off the posting reports in my test company because I am constantly doing repetitive testing of batch posting for my projects.  I know that my data is fine, the transactions are fine, and everything posts fine, so in my situation, I don't need the posting reports or the report dialogs, and I turn everything off to avoid having to click Cancel constantly.


It's pretty sad when you know how many times you have to click the cancel button on the report dialog boxes after you post a certain Dynamics GP batch.

Finally, my laziness wanting to avoid constantly clicking a Cancel button finally overtook my laziness to disable all posting reports, and I finally spent 10 seconds to create the script to turn off all posting reports in Fabrikam.

UPDATE TWO..SY02200 SET PRNTJRNL = 0


There.  Done.

I now need to make it a standard part of the GP installation process after I create the Fabrikam company.

Batches and posting reports...two anachronisms of the ERP world that GP will probably never abandon...

Ask a NetSuite consultant about their "batches" and "posting reports" if you want to see some puzzled reactions.

Steve Endow is a Microsoft MVP for Dynamics GP and a Dynamics GP Certified IT Professional in Los Angeles.  He is the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

You can also find him on Google+ and Twitter



3 comments:

Victoria Yudin said...

Steve,

But sometimes you want to see the reports, in case there are errors, or for training purposes. :-)

Another option to consider is to change all the reports to print to the screen, you can use the following code for that:

UPDATE SY02200
SET PRNTJRNL = 1, ASECTMNT = 0, PRTOPRNT = 0, PRTOSCNT = 1,
PRTOFLNT = 0, EXPTTYPE = 0, APNDRPLC = 0

-Victoria

Steve Endow said...

Ha, I see you, Reporting Master, are complicit in this insidious plot to keep posting reports alive! ;-)

Yes, there are definitely times when posting reports are helpful or required, I was just thinking about my situation where I'm testing transactions and having to constantly bypass the posting reports.

I'll add a clarification. :-)

Victoria Yudin said...

Thanks Steve, you didn't need to add an update, it's all good. :-) Just wanted to add another option for others.

I do agree that GP is often posting report heavy and I always make sure that people know these can all be reprinted in any training I do. The fact that so many people still print all of these reports (especially to paper) is incomprehensible to me.

-Victoria