Friday, May 31, 2013

Emailing Multiple Documents in a Single Email in GP- OOPS!

I had a client ask a fairly simple question, "Is it possible to have GP combine multiple invoices to the same customer in a single email."  "Of course!", I said.  And, then, as these things go, it didn't work.

We looked at all of the setup, we debated over this and that, but it kept sending 2 separate emails even though we had marked "Multiple Attachments per E-mail" in Cards-Sales-Customer-Email:


We checked to make sure the invoices (Transactions-Sales-Sales Transaction Entry) had the same subject, message body, address to send replies to, To, Cc, and Bcc email addresses.  And still, we were stumped.  Sadly. Stumped.

It worked fine on my install, and it worked fine in Fabrikam.  So I experimented by setting up a new email template ID, Administration Page-Setup-Company-E-Mail Message Setup.  This time, instead of using the Sales series like the client had previously, I used All for the series:



And, guess what?  It worked!  The multiple invoices were combined in to a single email on their system.  So, I knew it most likely had to do with their email template.  So I decided to set up their email template in my system piece by piece.  So I started with changing the template to be the Sales series, and it still worked on my system.  And then I added Fields like they had...



So, which field do you think was causing it to break?  Well, of course, the SOP NUMBER!  When adding the SOP Number field to the email, the multiple invoices WILL NOT combine in to a single email.  So simple.  Forehead meet palm of hand.  So simple.  And yet it took a while to get there.  Thought I would share so others can avoid the embarrassing pain of this.  It does make sense in a way, since it has no mechanism to note multiple SOP numbers in a single email.  So we removed the SOP Number field from the email template, and it worked in their environment.

Christina Phillips is a Microsoft Certified Trainer and Dynamics GP Certified Professional. She is a supervising consultant with BKD Technologies, providing training, support, and project management services to new and existing Microsoft Dynamics customers. This blog represents her views only, not those of her employer.

1 comment:

Andy Hall said...

Good spot, thanks for letting the rest of us know, this will save a lot of frustration :-)