Monday, February 18, 2013

Skype very slow on Windows 7

I've been using Skype regularly for 3-4 years now to have almost daily calls with a colleague in Australia.  While it has generally worked well, one problem I've had in the last year is that the Skype application has seemed extremely slow and unresponsive.

For instance, when I place a call on Skype, it may take 10 seconds for it to start to ring.  And then once the person picks up the call, Skype continues to ring for 10 more seconds, even though I'm talking to someone already.  Ending a call is similar--I click to hang up the call, but it takes 10 seconds to actually hang up.  And overall, the Skype application was often extremely unresponsive, taking several seconds to show any buttons or to move its windows.

I finally started Googling this issue over the weekend, and found this YouTube video offering a potential fix

The video recommends deleting all of the Skype files in the %AppData% directory.

  1. Click on Start -> Run
  2. Type %appdata% and press Enter
  3. When Windows Explorer opens, locate the Skype directory
  4. Delete the entire Skype directory

I followed the instructions, relaunched Skype, logged in, and based on the one call I've made so far, it seems to be working much better.  No lags, no odd behaviors, and starting and stopping the call was smooth and snappy.

I was very much dreading the recent announcement that MS was transitioning MS Live Messenger to Skype, but if this quick fix worked, I won't mind using Skype any more.

UPDATE:  I used Skype several times today and it worked perfectly--incredibly responsive.  Such an improvement!


Steve Endow is a Dynamics GP Certified Trainer and Dynamics GP Certified IT Professional in Los Angeles.  He is also the owner of Precipio Services, which provides Dynamics GP integrations, customizations, and automation solutions.

http://www.precipioservices.com

No comments: